ledna 26, 2010

(i guess it was just the cutest smile ever seen)


I've got a presentation about sports today. As I was thinking about the very theme, I've somehow decided not to speak about the Olympics (I think that everyone knows something about them - that the games are starting in two weeks in Vancouver and that our boys and girls are expected to come back with at least 10 medals and all should be from gold). The thing is that personally I find these games somehow unattractive and that's because when I think about it - all these people from the whole world coming to one city in order to beat everyone else and get some medals - I find it a bit funny. But I must admit that when I was a bit younger, getting to the Olympic games was one of the biggest dreams of mine - at the age of, I don't know, maybe seven or eight, I constantly kept imagining myself as a big football star or even as a ski-jumper. I thought that maybe in the future, the time'd come and I would bring all these tropheys and medals back home and I would show it to my parents and they'd be really proud of me, for what I've done. Well, the thing is that none of this ever happened. Maybe I should blame my dad, because I remember the exact time (it had to be short after the Olympics in Nagano 1998 because I know that I was really influenced by our hockey players that won the whole olympic thing) when I was painting one of my best paintings ever in our living room and my dad came along saying that there was a recruitment by a local karate club - he looked at me and said I would have a big muscles and I would be looking like a real tough guy. Course I was impressed and told him that I'd give it a try. I gotta say that with this decision I destroyed all my dreams about becoming the olympics winner - you may know that karate has never been a part of the games and honestly, I don't think it will ever be.
When I think about the old days, I must admit I was somehow happy - I guess this is what happens with the new things - in the beginning you find it attractive but as the time goes, you realize it's just as much boring as everything is. I found there some friend, we were the same age, so we had fun acting like some superheroes. I don't have an idea if you know something about the very sport - the thing is that mostly you have two guys trying to beat the opposite one but - and that's the hard one - without even touching him. As I think about it you're like some actors - you play your role, you're the big tough fighter but you're not allowed to kick the guy who's against you. I guess the refereers just sit there and keep thinking like 'this would make his nose bleed, we gotta give him some points'. I find it a bit funny, when I think about it.
Now I should say something about my famous victories and you shouldn't be afraid because it's not gonna be a long and tiring theme - you know, I was not the best fighter around. I remember the journey with the club somewhere to Litomyšl - I was so nervous the whole time that I cannot remember anything else. I think they were a bit afraid about me because my face can easily get almost every colour you can imagine. I think that was one of these times. Another funny thing is that in our category, there were three famous teams consisting of three boys - the first and best one was our A-team, then came our B-team and C-team (there should not be any misunderstandings to which one I belonged). We lost both of our matches but we were really happy because we got our medals - we actually managed to be third in the local championship. I think I don't have to point out that I was feeling like some kind of superhero for the next couple of months.
Sadly enough, that was one of the first and also last successes I've done in my long career. They had to be a bit disappointed with me but I managed to survive as a member of the club (actually one of the best clubs in the country) for next five or six years and I ended like an unfulfilled big talent.
Paralelly I used to attend a local swimming school - I must admit my biggest problem was to put my little head under the water. I guess I was so afraid that I would drown. They were trying all things with me - they handed me a rod or the instructor was pushing me under the water but none of it helped. You know, it became better as the years passed but still I'm a bit cautious about it. I'm even somehow jealous because they kept giving us a card every year - it was called 'The card of a good swimmer'. In order to get this card you had to do a big amount of things like be able to swim 200 meters crawl or whatever. Weirdly enough, I managed to pass everything with this little excerption - the last exam was to swim 10 meters under the water. You know, all you have to do is to jump into the water and you already have 6 meters. Nothing helped, I was really famous of ending up on seven or eight meters. Actually, I have never got this card for good swimmers.
My relationship with sports is deeply influenced by my nervosity - I don't know where it came from but I do remember funny times before some kind of a sport competition. I guess my biggest intention before every match was or still is to hide somewhere. You know, my manual skills are somehow reduced, so most of the time I find myself trying to keep the biggest distance possible from every kind of ball on the pitch - this can be done during football match but hard times become when you play table tennis or even volleyball. Personally, I find volleyball pretty scary - all the time I hope they won't find the net so it will be impossible to play. Somehow, they've always managed to find it, no matter how far I hide it.
Finally I would like to tell you something about my sport heroes - and again you shouldn't be worried because it's not such a big amount of names on the list - I guess it would be much worse with music or movies. I find it pretty embarassing to even mention it but it looks like my favourite sport is football. Recently I read a book by english writer Nick Hornby called 'Fever Pitch', I think in czech it's called 'Fotbalová horečka'. In this book he explains his relationship with football, he says it's not matter of like or dislike, it just exists. You can find it embarassing or whatever, but that's it. According to me the best football club ever is a London-based one called Arsenal. I've actually attended one of their matches in London and I was pretty amazed by this mass of maybe 60 thousands people in the stadium. I think I was shaking the whole time. And you should be damn sure that they easily won the match with some weird Italians.


(written by vojtech jirovec // presented with a final mark 2 // containing an unbeliable amount of mistakes)

2 komentáře:

strame řekl(a)...

damn you! jaks za to moh dostat ubohy b? znam to ale hele. ten pocit, ze se teda konecne odhodlam predhodit jim neco, do ceho dam vic nez jenom ten cas, a ono se to sejde s mrzkym nepochopenim, takze uz never more. jestli to teda je ten pripad.

an amazing read though. screw them mistakes.

franz-goumet. řekl(a)...

tak ono si to měl současně i nějak poutavě odprezentovat, v čemž možná byl ten zakopanej pes nebo problém (je úžasný, kolik různejch šk. disciplín se hodnotí na uměleckej osobní dojem - s tim hrbem na zádech prohrávám dost na body). ale jo, je to jak říkáš - hlavně to mít formálně oukej, pěknou osnovu a lyrický pasáže "zamyslel jsem se a pomyslil si", mít narýsovaný okraje nebo něco v tom smyslu.

amazing read nevim, nebo vlastně jo. je to supr. akorát tu svou potřebu neustále se shazovat bych třeba mohl zkusit na chvíli odhodit a sbírat teda ty áčka.

ten angličan, co nás má, je kretén btw. a prej v 90s fungoval jako klubovej dj. po detailech se neptám a nebudu